BCHF originates from an engineering practice established in 1918. By the mid 1950's the practice had grown to 30 staff and was becoming increasingly involved in heavy industrial projects. The company was named Beca Carter Hollings & Ferner in 1968, and rapidly grew both in New Zealand and overseas as offices were established in Australia, PNG, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, and Brunei. In 1984 a strategic alliance was formed with H A Simons of Canada. Known as Beca Simons, its purpose is to expand company capabilities in pulp and paper and heavy industrial engineering. BCHF is a multi-disciplinary consultancy employing nearly 1200 staff, offering a comprehensive range of engineering, project management, planning, surveying, valuation and computer services to a wide clientele.